The development team created the working concept using Google’s Material Design framework. Much of the core concepts were refined by the Customer Experience Analyst but needed a UX / UI touch to make it market-ready.
Even with the Material Design framework, the interface was difficult to use. It did not convey the unique product that the team built. OtoSense needed an interface that they branded.
My goals were to:
This project was conducted with a distributed team, with members across the United States. To keep the project on track and organized, we communicated via Slack and Googles’ Drive applications. This method allowed all members to access the design research and documentation in one central location.
As their first designer on the team, I wanted to orient myself in the project and understand its scope. To do this, I worked with the Head Developer and User Researcher to create a Sitemap of the project. To that end, I drafted a template for user stories that we used as a guide to learn about each component and its purpose.
Sharing these methods and thinking at the beginning of the project built a connection across the team that helped with communication in a subject matter I was unfamiliar with.
To appreciate the challenges of the platform and what the UI would be required to face, I worked with the UX Researcher to learn about the users and what issues they face.
Using qualitative analysis from sales teams and stakeholders, we crafted two focused personas.
I worked with the time via Slack to develop concepts for interactions that would help keep the user on the screen while allowing them the ability to scrub through data without leaving the screen.
These sketches were photographed, shared on Slack, and discussed there. The process had its bumps but using clear communications and notes on the sketches helped clear up misunderstandings.
I created a strategy for the platform redesign that allowed for visual interest and focused on the data. The live content area was set to flex no smaller than the width of a landscaped tablet. This allowed for designs to be effective on a tablet and desktop without losing data in the viewable area.
The platform did not reflect the OtoSense brand. After taking colors from their live website and logo, I adjusted them for accessibility in highlight areas. This gave me a base palette to work with. I selected IBM Plex Sans for the font family because of its contrast in its shapes and legibility in tables.
This allowed the platform to be branded for OtoSense. Also, it gave the startup a basis of a design system for any future applications.
A mixture of all the Ninja Turtles 🐢 into one. Suffering from an addiction to coffee, cookies and zombies 🧟. Team player, a negotiator with developers, product owners and stakeholders.